Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Beginnings.

I cannot stress enough how badly I want to be a good person. It's as if my consciousness has evolved and shifted into this goal to which has no end and that I have started this foot race at a sprint. I began looking into the Peace Corps today, and though it seems that for awhile it is not something I can pursue (I don't necessarily have an area of expertise I have to offer besides sarcasm and my eagerness to do and be "good") that it is something I should definitely consider. Otherwise, I'll be just like the rest of the people who see a sad commercial of hungry children, feel pity, and go on eating their dinner just in time to forget about it. For example, I bought a homeless man dinner two nights ago. He came up to me after shopping at Target, and I gave him a bottle of water that I keep in the back of my car just in case a situation like that happened. It only took 5 dollars to feed a hungry man, and when I think about how easily I can spend 5 dollars and not think anything of it, it makes me sick and also very sad. There has to be something I can do, because while I feel that the rest of the people here (at least in college) want to be a certain something, a doctor, a lawyer, an actor, all I really want is to be a good person and live my life fully. Maybe that is something people don't focus enough on, or perhaps they get caught up so much in their own life that they miss the general principle of it all- the principle that we inhabit this world with other people and that it is our responsibility as humans to help each other. That is our humanity, the fact that we all bleed and hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment